Pages

Monday 21 December 2020

Activity 11 Week 2 | Sound

 LI: to learn how different amounts of space in a object can change the sound.


For the first task of the second week I learnt about how different amounts of space inside an object can change the output of the sound it will create. For this activity I created a xylophone using cups of water and paper tubes.  I learnt if you put lots of water in a cup it will create a high pitch, but if you put less water in a cup the opposite happens and it creates a low pitch. The pitch differs for how much water you use. The same with the paper tubes, if its longer it creates a lower pitch because the sound has to travel longer, but if it is a short tube the sound travels lesser creating a high pitch. I recorded a video a me experimenting both of these things. 



3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Lukah

    I hope you had a good weekend!


    This post made my heart sing, truly! When you took it away with a beautiful rendition of mary had a little lamb, I was smiling to no end :D.

    Not only did you nail the melody, but your timing is rawe also! Do you play a musical instrument other than the cups and tubes?

    I’m going to flag this post as outstanding so that you get more points.

    Keep up the good work Lukah!

    Mā te wā

    Cheers,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Lukah,

    I really liked reading your blog post today. Your screencastify was amazing! I liked how you have added the song "Mary and the little lamb" because it made me play the video again. I also liked how you have explained what a high pitch and low pitch sound both on the paper and water experiment. Great job for writing a well detailed blurb as well! What is something that you didn't know before doing this activity?

    Keep up the fabulous work!
    -Sakshi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Lukah your video is amazing!
    Not only did you make two xylophones but you played a tune that everybody knows on both of them! That takes engineering skills to build the instruments and musical skills to play the tune - you are very talented!
    Your detailed video and writing mean that anybody can now learn from you and this is how real scientists work too. We write reports about our experiments so other scientists can read about them and try them too.
    I can't wait to see the results of your next Nanogirl experiment.
    From,
    Nanogirl

    ReplyDelete